Did y’all know that International Left-Handers Day was this past Saturday, August 13th? For the 90% of us who are right handed, it probably escaped our attention. I’m a righty surrounded by lefties: my sister, husband and 5-year-old daughter are all lefties.
Lefties are a special tribe and they will be quick to tell you that sadly it’s a right-handed world. If you are a lefty, then I salute you! You are rare…like a fine wine…like a yellow diamond…like a 4-leaf clover.
Apparently, the odds of having a left handed child are 50/50 if both parents are left handed and about 25% when only one parent is a lefty. When both parents are right handed your odds drop to well under 10%. You will know if your child is left or right by age 3 to 6. Males are 1½ times more likely to be left handed than females.
Did you know…
- Only about 10% of the people on the planet are lefties.
- Left handed presidents: James A. Garfield 20th, Herbert Hoover 31st, Harry S. Truman 33rd, Gerald Ford 38th, Ronald Reagan 40th, George H.W. Bush 41st, Bill Clinton 42nd, Barack Obama 44th.
- Bill Gates and Oprah are left handed.
- The two surviving members of The Beatles are lefties: Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr.
- Left handed pitchers are in demand! They don’t throw as fast as right handers but they are needed to get left handed batters out.
Smarties, are you or any of your children lefties? Do you have any tips for raising a lefty in this right handed world?