These days, you can’t back out of your driveway without running over the phrase “The New Normal.” It’s everywhere. If you work in corporate America, then you get triple points because you have officially experienced “The New Normal” bludgeon. All of my sisters in the concrete jungle can relate because you’ve heard the phrase in company speeches, town hall meetings, new project initiatives and all hands conference calls.
In the last year, we’ve beat the phrase within inches of its life. So, in homage to my beloved corporate America roots, (you gotta dance with the one who brought cha!) I want to pay respect to The New Normals in my home life. The New Normal signifies that the times have changed, possibly forever, and that life as we know it will never be the same. Deep, right?
As mothers, we embrace that tomorrow will be different than yesterday and that this adventure of life is immensely richer with children.
My 10 New Normals
1. Relaxation consisting of a solo trip to the grocery store or Target instead of the spa.
2. Having raging jealousy over the minivan instead of the Mercedes S class.
3. Counting down the months until I get released from nap jail.
4. My two favorite times of the day: when my kids get up and when they go to bed.
5. Eating dinner in the 5 o’clock hour with the senior citizens.
6. Idolizing moms with three or more kids instead of Hollywood celebrities.
7. My last two concerts: Yo Gabba Gabba and The Wiggles.
8. Being sick and tired of being sick and tired.
9. Wearing make-up to look alive instead of pretty.
10. Picking up a 6-pack used to mean beer and now it means wine.
Let’s honor this time that we are living in, Smarties, and celebrate our new normals. What’s your #1 new normal of motherhood?