If you are looking for a quick art project that your kids can do and is presentable enough to hang in their room, I’ve got a goody for you! This is super easy and you can’t screw this up.
The project called for “washi tape” and truth be told, I’d never heard of it so I didn’t have any in my house.
However, this stuff is pretty cool. Go to Pinterest and type in “washi tape” – so many creative and easy crafts to try. I was blown away with all of the super nifty things you can make and/or decorate with washi tape. Plus, I like saying washi tape.
For this art project, I used a bunch of stuff I had “in stock” like black electrical tape that I cut in half lengthwise to make skinny, gold spray paint, and some tubes of acrylic paint that are probably 20 years old – no joke. I also had a small canvas on hand. This would be even more amazing-er in a large version.
(1) Spray paint a canvas. I used gold spray paint that I had. Whatever color you choose will end up being the “lines” in the painting.
(2) After the canvas dries, affix washi tape or some type of skinny tape all over the painted canvas. Make sure you vary the width of the tape – long strips of tape and short strips of tape or if you plan to use washi tape then no need to cut it lengthwise. I used black electrical tape and cut some of the tape strips in half lengthwise to vary the width of the lines.
(3) Now the fun begins! Start painting the areas between the tape. I used acrylic paint. You could use spray paint. You could use all one color and simply spray paint the entire canvas or use multilple colors. I bet it would be really cool to use spray paint and let some of the colors overlap.
(4) Wait for the canvas to dry or if you are impatient like me then use a hair dryer.
(5) Remove the tape. Boom! Project complete.
Here are some other examples from across the interwebs: