I don’t know about you, but I am so super psyched for Halloween this year! My kids have been counting down the days and it’ll be even more fun since it falls on a Saturday!! The costumes are just about ready … the candy to hand out has been bought … the buckets pulled out of the attic and dusted off … But in the midst of all the excitement, it’s good to run through a quick refresher on some good Halloween safety tips.
Before you set out:
* Feed your child(ren) a meal or snack so that they are less likely to eat candy before getting home
* Once costumes are assembled, put away all costume tools such as scissors, makeup or safety pins (out of child’s reach)
* Before you leave the house, discuss what route children will follow, who is supervising the group, what friends are going along and what time they will be home
* Costumes should fit well so that children do not trip on long costumes or get snagged on shrubbery or fences
* Buy costumes made of flame retardant material
* Use light colors or reflective tape on costumes
* Children should carry flashlights so they can better see and be seen
* Face masks should allow for good vision – consider taking off masks when crossing the street
* Have children bring all treats home for inspection
* Sort out treats and check to make sure that all wrappers are intact
* Discard unwrapped or loosely wrapped items
* Dispose of choking hazards such as peanuts, gum and hard candies
* Young children should always be accompanied by an adult – older children should go in groups and carry a mobile phone
* Trick-or-treat in neighborhoods and yards that are known and well lit
* Walk on sidewalks, not streets – do not run out from between parked cars and always look both ways before crossing the street
And hopefully you won’t need it, but just in case – Carolina’s Poison Control Center is 704-355-4000 or 800-222-1222.
Have a super smarty Halloween. And please let us know of other tips that you have found to be helpful on this ghoulish night.
Smarties get on board for a Sesame Street Adventure. Register for our newest giveaway, a family four-pack to see Sesame Street Live – Elmo’s Green Thumb. This new show is all about the earth, environment and making friends. All your kids favorites will be there. The best part, we have not just one four-pack but two – there will be two very Smarty winners. So sign up now to win your tickets to see the latest from our furry friends at Sesame Street. Click Here to enter.