GivingTuesday on December 1st is the global day of giving. Created in 2012 as a simple idea – a day that encourages people to come together and do good after eating and shopping over the holiday weekend. This generosity movement is celebrated in 225 communities across the US and in 60 countries around the world.
#GivingTuesdayCLT presented annually by Wells Fargo and powered by SHARE Charlotte is Charlotte’s local response to this global movement. Now in its seventh year, #GivingTuesdayCLT is an unprecedented collaboration of Charlotte nonprofits as well as corporations, local businesses, community organizations and individuals coming together through good. #GivingTuesdayCLT has influenced more than $28M in value given to Charlotte nonprofits and inspired over 25K new donors.
#GivingTuesdayCLT in 2020 will be an especially important year for the Charlotte community to come together to support local nonprofits which have been hit hard by the pandemic. #GivingTuesdayCLT is an opportunity to come together to take action for our community.
This #GivingTuesdayCLT we invite our neighbors to give their time, talent, dollars, network, or influence to their favorite (or a new!) local nonprofit. Generosity looks different for us all, and this #GivingTuesdayCLT our call to action is for Charlotte to be generous and to share, because Charlotte-Mecklenburg needs us.
The community support local nonprofits by going to sharecharlotte.org to find a nonprofit to support and take action in the following ways:
1) Giving money – many nonprofits were not able to have crucial fundraisers this year due to the pandemic and need your support to continue offering critical services to those in need.
Bonus Good – Lowe’s has generously donated 300, $50 gift cards to match any donation over $50 to any nonprofit.
2) Give time (virtually) – there are hundreds of virtual volunteer opportunities you can choose from that you can perform in the comfort and safety of your home. Here are some favorites:
– Drop off a frozen meal for Foster Village Charlotte to help new foster families
– Practice job interviewer (virtual) for Center for Community Transitions
– Organize a stuffed animal drive for Hugaroo which provides stuffed animals to kids going through cancer treatment
– Create nesting boxes for the North Carolina Wildlife Federation
– Make snack bags with notes of encouragement for youth at The Relatives
– Host a haircare drive for Pretty Ponytails which helps boost young girls self esteem
– Call a senior citizen to check up on them so they don’t feel isolated with the Shepherd’s Center
– Create positive “post it” notes for victims for survivors of human tracking with a Fresh Start CLT
– Provide 70 bagged lunches A Roof Above
3) Give goods – you can shop from a nonprofits Amazon wish list and they get exactly what they need shipped directly to their door and you know exactly where your money is going.
About SHARE Charlotte
We are building a better Charlotte by empowering nonprofits and helping people invest in their
communities in ways that matter most to them. We do this by providing a one-stop shop to engage with over 450 Mecklenburg County nonprofits at sharecharlotte.org, and by connecting our nonprofit partners to valuable local resources and opportunities. We envision a Charlotte united through GOOD!