In honor of Quarantine cooking, we bring you a week of Smarty Erin’s delicious recipes! We love everything she makes, follow her culinary treats at campbrighton.com.
Need a simple slow cooker meal for this weekend? My kids (and I) love chili! My husband bought me a new slow cooker from All-Clad last year that lets me cook with the slow cooker insert on the stove – cooking the meat for the chili, for example – and then I pop the insert back into the crockpot. ❤ One less dirty dish to clean. If you’re in the market for a new slow cooker, that’s my PSA for today! I love mine.
A few years ago, I discovered ground chorizo pork sausage from one of our local farmers in Western NC. Chorizo generally has a variety of herbs – thyme, chili, paprika, garlic, and onion. I have found so many ways to incorporate chorizo into my traditional recipes. Adding chorizo to a simple chili recipe will really change the whole taste. I guarantee this chili will become a family favorite. This chili recipe has even won a neighborhood chili cook-off. It’s legit.
To stretch out this chili so I have leftovers that I can freeze, I like to toss some potatoes into the oven and bake them for about an hour. Chili over a baked potato is so delicious and very filling. I am certain you will have leftover chili if you serve your chili over a baked potato and add all your favorite toppings – cheese, scallions, fresh tomatoes, jalapeno peppers. All of the things. So good.
If you are feeling extra creative, make a chili bar so your kids or friends can select their own toppings to make their chorizo chili uniquely theirs.
If you are looking for another interesting chili recipe, try my Roasted Veggie Chili – so much flavor!
Slow Cooker Chorizo Chili Recipe
– 1.5 lbs ground beef
– 1 lb ground chorizo sausage
– 1 green pepper chopped
– 1 onion chopped
– 5 cloves garlic chopped
– 28 oz diced tomatoes
– 2 cans pinto beans
– 3 T chili powder
– 1 T cumin
– 1 t coriander
– 1 t salt
-1 t ground pepper
1. Brown 1 1/2 lbs of ground beef and 1 lb of sausage – chorizo, Cajun, or plain – but I highly recommend chorizo!
2. Add 1-2 chopped green peppers, 1 large onion, 5 cloves garlic, 1 large can diced tomatoes, 1 can of beans (or 2 or 3 if your kids love them!), 3 T chili powder, 1 T cumin, 1 t coriander, salt, and pepper. Stir.
3. Cook in a slow cooker on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours.
4. Serve with tortilla chips and avocado or serve over baked potatoes. Top with cheese, chopped scallions, jalapenos, and sour cream.