First up Jen shares first about New Year’s resolutions and ways to stay on track.
They are a great way to reset your focus such that you can direct your energy towards a goal that seemed out of reach at one time. But what happens when activities start to pick up again and unplanned events make reaching those goals more difficult? How do you stay on the grind? Below are a few tips that I suggest my clients consider when looking to stay on track.
– Write down your goals and reflect on them regularly (private or public). Maybe your resolution was as simple as drinking more water, maybe it was as complex as completing a Flywheel Challenge. Tell people about it. Take ownership in your goal. There is no better way to hold yourself accountable than to stare your goal in the face. That said, take time every few weeks to reflect on your progress. Are you where you want to be? What can you do better?
– Find an accountability partner. As a busy mom, I find that if I make a “date” with a friend to do a workout, I am 99% more likely to show up than if I tell myself I will do it in my head. Find a friend that shares the same excitement towards your resolution as you do. Encourage each other.
– Sign up for a challenge, race, or competition (if that’s your thing). With the added pressure of an event to prepare for you, you will more than likely follow through with the groundwork to reach your goal – regardless of what else is going on around you.
– Give yourself a break. It’s okay to fall off the wagon as long as you get back on. If you don’t feel well, take a day off.
– Reward yourself. Work hard play hard has always been my motto. Set an incentive to work towards. When you reach your goal, celebrate! Then look to set the bar even higher.
– Finally, let yourself have fun. If you lose interest in what you are working towards, try something new. Varying my own exercise routine has prevented me from getting bored and ultimately allowed me to continue to see improvements.
Kasey opens up on ways to keep pushing to your goals long after the new year excitement has worn off.
I think that resolutions are really a big taboo everyone sets at the beginning of every year but can never quite keep. The motivation and thrill of a new year begin to wear thin and so does our new found energy. Believe me, even fitness instructors struggle with this. Life happens and we no longer have the urge to fit health and wellness into our busy schedules. Good news is, you do not have to give up on the goals you set at the beginning of the year. Follow these tips on ways to keep pushing to your goals.
– Create a buddy system: Choose a friend, your boyfriend or even your husband for your workout buddy. But always choose someone that has similar goals to you and will hold each other accountable. Workout together, discuss your meal choices together, and be there to support one another . Everything in life is better when you have someone to support you and your fitness and health endeavors are no different.
– Find your perfect workout: There are so many amazing new workouts available today, so test them out until you find the one you love. Flybarre and Flywheel are my stress relievers and my escape from the real world. When I walk into the studio or stadium my worries and troubles are left at the door and I leave feeling strong and motivated; not only physically but mentally as well. Find that workout that you look forward to doing each and every day, and that place that feels like your home away from home.
– DIET? Diets never work. They might help you drop a few pounds here and there but they are inconsistent. What works is fuelling your body with foods that will naturally energize and keep you full during your daily activities. Do not limit yourself to a strict diet. Start by choosing foods that are clean and high in protein and soon you will find that you no longer miss all the burgers, pizzas, and tacos (okay I will always crave tacos). The trick to being healthy is treating yourself weekly in moderation. If you are craving a donut, eat ONE donut to fill that craving. Sooner than later, your body will not even crave those things anymore if you are filling it with clean foods.
– Buy that new workout outfit: Let’s face it, when we get a new outfit and we feel like we look good…. we could rule the world! The same thing goes for fitness. Buy yourself that new workout outfit and I can assure you that you will be so excited to get into the studio, stadium or gym soon to show off your new threads. If you are looking for some amazing new gear…. the boutique at Flywheel Sports is a great place to start
– Treat YOURSELF: If your New Years’ goal was to lose 12 pounds by April or to run your first 5k by St. Patricks Day, then you need to realize each gain is an important milestone. That is when you should reward yourself! If you lose those first 3 pounds, go reward yourself! But the key is, don’t use food as a reward. Those new shoes you have been eyeballing at Stuart Weitzman, now those are fair game! Treat yourself for making those baby steps that keep you rolling in the right direction. Every win is important when it comes to getting healthy, fit and happy in your own skin.
If you can follow these simple 5 things, then sticking to your goal should be a breeze and fun while you’re at it. You are your biggest cheerleader, so keep cheering yourself on to the finish line. Once you reach your goal, you might realize something amazing has happened and you love the new you and stick with your routine forever. Remember ladies… strong is the new skinny! Be strong physically and mentally and you will rule the world!
We are challenging riders and pulsers to become a Weekday Warrior. You can activate the Weekday Warrior package in your account by accessing the buy packages page and adding the Weekday Warrior package to your cart and checking out. Then all you have to do is take 5 weekday classes during the month of February and you will receive a free credit to FLY with us in March.
Also we are re-launching our popular Barre Buddies program, meet Barre Buddies 2.0! Get ready for new weekly challenges, meeting new FlyBarre friends and some friendly competition. Form a group of 3 Buddies and sign-up at the front desk now through 2/4! Barre Buddies 2.0 will begin 2/5!
Head over to Flywheel to check out all the deets!