There are so many things to do in the summertime in and around Charlotte. Smarties, to help combat the summer wiggles, we have come up with of a list of some of our Smarty Favorite Family Summer Activities:
1.Historic Charlotte – Be a tourist in your own town. Visit Historic Charlotte’s website and download their Walking Tours/ Driving Tours PDF guides.
2. Uptown Historical Tour: We recommend taking the Historical Tour, The Green and the Gold Rush Trolley.
3. Romare Bearden Summer Series:
– Music Box Lunch: Tuesdays & Fridays from 12 (noon) to 1:30pm. Music box lunch series, featuring solo artists and small combinations that provide a relaxing musical background for the people who are visiting the park during this time. Click on link for more information.
– Party in the Park: Wednesday evenings from 6 to 9pm, Romare Bearden park will be hosting a free weekly music concert, “Uptown Sound” series, featuring different genres of music ranging from Party Bands, Jazz, Rock, Country, Beach Music to Tribute Bands. Click on link for more information.
– Bearden Music Series: Once a month a different genre of music will be performed with additional programming supporting the music style. Click on link for more information.
4. $1.00 Movies: Throughout the summer several movie theaters in the Charlotte region offer $1.00 movies. Click on the link for more information.
5.The Green Uptown: One of our favorite spots is the Green Uptown. It is located adjacent to Three Wells Fargo Center on S. Tryon Street. The 3 tier park features a literary theme, whimsical sculptures and a beautiful lush landscape. Bonus: The splash pad is rarely crowded, there are shaded benches for Mom and it is the perfect spot for a picnic (pack your lunch or pick one up at the numerous restaurants in the area). Click on link for more information about city parks.
6. Kate’s Skating Rink in Indian Trail: Skating prices seem to be through the roof. Smarty Mom Cheryl has loved taking her kids to Kate’s Skating Rink where you pay a flat fee to skate as long as you want. Check out their events calendar (www.katesonline.com ) with different deals throughout the summer.
7. Free Night at the Mint Museum of Art: Both locations of The Mint Museum offer free general admission every Wednesday from 5-9pm. Smarty Mom Jenni Strazz loves taking her boys to the art museum. Her boys faces light up when they see all the beautiful paintings – totally worth the later bedtime!
8. Duke Energy Explorium: Save the date! Friday, July 29th McGuire Nuclear Station will be hosting (FREE) Movies@McGuire Featuring “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” at 8:30pm.
9. Summer Concert Series at Blakeney: A perfect way to end your week. Every Friday & Saturday night, 7-10pm, Blakeney Shopping center hosts their Summer Concert Series. Grab a dinner, do some light shopping, and enjoy fun music with your friends and family. You can also try out the splash park and play in the playground with your little ones. It is a fun filled night for the whole family!
10. Food Truck Friday: this is a favorite of all the Smarty Moms! There is a little bit of everything for everybody. Check it out, I promise you won’t be disappointed. Click on links to find out more information for each location.
– Plaza Midwood
11. SouthPark Eats Alternative: the largest gathering of Food Trucks in SouthPark. Every Wednesday from 11:00am-2:00pm at 5970 Fairview Rd.
12. Matthews Summer Concert & Movie Series: Stumptown Park. Concerts start at 7pm., and the family friendly movies begin at dusk, approximately 8:30pm. Click on link for the schedule of events.
13. Birkdale Village: This one is a little bit of a trek for some South Charlotte Mom’s but definitely worth it. (sometimes it’s helpful to take a little drive with the little ones) The shopping center as a splash pad in the center that is fun for younger kids and shopping, restaurants and more surrounding it. Smarty Mom Jen V. said she loves it because it is gated, sunny but shaded and has great benches for Moms! Also, check out their summer concert series: Mingling on the Greens Concert Series. Every Friday and Saturday from 7pm – 9pm and every Sunday from 4pm-6pm.
14. Jetton Park: After leaving California, Smarty Mom Karly is always itching for that beach feel. Lake Norman has totally craved her beach craving. She loves Jetton Park. You can walk to a lookout over the lake and your kiddoes can enjoy a fun playground. Be prepared NO SWIMMING from this beach entrance.
15. AMF Free Summer Bowling: AMF is offering free bowling for kids on weekdays this summer. That means 10 Park Lanes is you go-to spot! Cornhole, free bowlingand more! You can register for free bowling here.
16. Splash pads: Charlotte offers quite a few splash parks. Check out Smarty Cheryl’s article on the best splash parks around.
17. Ray’s Splash Planet: on those occasional rainy days, Ray’s Splash Planet is a lifesaver.
18. Imaginon: a Charlotte Smarty Pants favorite! We like to take the train (it drops you off right at the entrance of the library) and pop into 7th street Market after for lunch. It’s a great outing! Check out their calendar events. I highly recommend the Terrific Tuesday show for kids. You must sign up in advance to reserve the free tickets.
19. Pops in the Park: Named the BEST summer activity since 1983, this Charlotte classic is a must try in the Queen’s City. The Charlotte Symphony puts on a great show in Symphony Park, SouthPark. You can find out how to get tickets here. Only one more show left this summer!
20. Charlotte B Cycle Rentals: for Smarty Moms with older kids, this is the perfect way to get out and see the city! The Charlotte Bike Share (Bcycle) program allows you to inexpensively rent bikes and return them to a different destination.
21. Kings Mountain National Military Park: An important American victory during the Revolutionary War took place here. Check out the summer events.
22. Stonecrest Summer Concert Series: Live Music on Fountain Stage. Fridays & Saturdays from 7pm-10pm.
23. SouthPark Mall Family Fun Nights – First Friday of the month through October (with the exception of July & August). The events are free.
24. Pineville Parks and Recreation Department Summer Concert & Movie Series – Summer Entertainment of live music and movies. Check Schedule for more information.
25. Promenade on Providence Summer Music & Movies Series – Events start at 7pm. Check their calendar of events.
Get out and play Smarties! If we missed anything, please share in the comments below. We are always looking for new and fun ways to enjoy our city.