by Smarty Guest Blogger Kate Uslan
We’ve just past the midpoint of summer vacation and while my kids have a few more camps and vacations to look forward to, it seems that the excitement is starting to wane. I feel like I can’t go one hour without hearing the ubiquitous phrase of all children asked to entertain themselves for a mere few minutes despite the number of toys, books and games at their disposal: “Mooom, I’m sooo bored.”
At ParentsTogether, we’re taking a stand against boredom. Our newest service, Q4KIDZ, sends parents a daily creative question to ignite fun conversations with their kids. But conversation is just the beginning.
Here are 10 questions designed to inspire new and exciting projects or creations guaranteed to keep your kids busy and engaged for ages (or at least the 5 minutes it takes to chop onions for dinner). After they answer the question, encourage them to draw it, build it, or turn it into a song or story.
1. If you could make your home out of food, what foods would you use for what parts?
2. If you could build a giant maze for your friends to try and figure out, what would you use to build it, what would be at the end?
3. Your skin can now change colors and patterns like a chameleon! What colors and patterns would you change into and why?
4. What gadgets would you add to your sneakers to help you go faster?
5. You’ve been chosen to create an obstacle course for field day, what does your perfect obstacle course look like?
6. Describe – or draw – the most awesome pair of pajamas you can imagine.
7. Build your own board game, what does the board look like, what are the game pieces and how do you win?
8. If you were a bird, what would your nest look like?
9. What kind of toy would you invent for kids your age? What would it look like and what would it do?
10. The government asks you to design a new kind of money (not dollars). What does it look like, what will you call it?
Fun, right? You can sign up to receive more free questions like these each day here or by texting Q3 to 30644.
ParentsTogether is a new national association committed to helping all families thrive. With Q4KIDZ, we hope to make talking with your kids a little easier and a lot more fun.
Oh, and since we are all about helping parents have fun too, we are having a Q4KIDZ launch party at Free Range Brewery in NODA on Sunday the 26th of July. Bring your kids, grab a beer, and let them get their creative juices flowing. RSVP here for this free and fun afternoon out!
Kate is a South Charlotte mom of two boys, ages 5 and 9. When she is not working on freelance health and communications projects, she works as an assistant/accountant/website designer/travel agent/wardrobe consultant/muse to her husband, a professional ragtime pianist. Never a dull moment.