Unfortunately, in order to improve posture, balance, and positioning — all of which are crucial to boxing — you actually need to go beyond doing crunches to build your core muscles. But before you go running the other way, you should know that since punching actually requires you to engage your abs, back, hips, and thighs, strengthening your core will only give you an advantage. Luckily we have plenty of ways to easily work on your core either from the comfort of home or at the gym. And you do want to add more power to your punch, right? Well then, listen up!
– Grab a medicine ball and do 10 to 12 seconds of chest passes.
– Do press-ups with your feet on a stability ball. It may take extra effort to keep your balance but try to perform 10 of these to work out your abs, shoulders, back, and arms.
– Use your ankles to pick up the stability ball and lower it without letting it touch the floor. Lift your legs and aim to repeat 20 times. Feeling the burn, yet?
– You can also do planks with a stability ball. Start by holding for 30 seconds and built up to a minute. You can do it! And if you don’t have a stability ball, a regular plank or side plank will also do the trick.
– Squats—they’re not just for your butt. When done right, they work out your abs, too. And if you want to really challenge yourself, do some squats with free weights. Let’s see how low you can go.
– Engage your entire core with opposite arm leg lifts. Add some light weights too if you dare.
– Try some yoga or pilates on days when you’re not boxing or kickboxing as it will help build your core strength and support healthy body alignment.
It’s not that hard to integrate core training into your workout routine. Don’t just do it for your abs—do it for how much stronger you’ll be when you swing at the punching bag!
Smarty Steals: Title Boxing Offers Black Friday Special
Title Boxing Charlotte and Ayrsley are offering a couple of Smarty Steals this month! Sign up Friday, November 28th, Saturday the 29th or Sunday the 30th with zero enrollment and no monthly payment until January 1. UNREAL. They’ll also be offering personal training specials during the week of Black Friday and Cyber Monday. If you’ve ever thought about trying Title Boxing, THIS is the most economical time to do it.
For more information on TITLE Boxing Club and their Charlotte locations: