It’s hard to believe that back to school is right around the corner! Here is a little to-do list that I put together to help that transition go smoothly!
Three Weeks Before School Starts
1. Take a proper inventory of backpacks and lunch boxes. Replace items that are torn, dirty or too small.
2. Wash items that are in good condition. Spot clean or run backpacks through the wash. Disinfect lunch boxes. Replace worn labels.
3. Purchase new shoes and allow each child to wear them for a week to make sure they don’t irritate their feet.
4. Double check dress code for school.
5. Purchase any new clothes as needed. Wash them and decide on “First Day of School” outfit.
6. Review school supplies needed and purchase. Once home, label all supplies.
7. Start children on an earlier bedtime schedule.
8. Update family calendar to include all important school dates such as Open Houses, breaks and special events.
9. Turn in all medical paperwork required by school.
Two Weeks Before School Starts
1. Take children to school for a walk-through, especially if this is a new campus or school. Take pictures!
2. Make haircut appointments for next week.
3. Begin waking children up earlier to prepare them for school mornings.
4. Purchase creative “back-to-school” gifts for teachers.
5. If your child is nervous, organize a play date with some other children who will be in their class.
6. Create a family spot to drop all backpacks, shoes, sports equipment and books. Stick with this spot for the entire year. It will save you loads of time. For an added touch, give each child a hook and shelf to keep organized.
7. Make sure you have registered your children for any fall activities such as dance, soccer, football, swim, etc.
One Week Before School Starts
1. Get haircuts.
2. Remove all old “play” nail polish and tattoos.
3. Make sure all summer reading and assignments are complete.
Day Before School Starts
1. Do a morning run-through for carpool.
2. Book a pedicure for yourself for tomorrow morning – yahoo!
3. Enjoy a family dinner and an early bedtime.
Happy Back-to-School, Smarties! Insert music for “It’s the most wonderful time, of the year, la, la, la, la”!