This is by far our favorite Smarty Pin of the month on Pinterest from Confessions of a Homeschooler blog. This is definitely the cutest idea of this holiday season, so we wanted to tie it in with our Smarty Charlotte Best Christmas Lights Tour! Here’s how it goes.
Start your bedtime routine as usual, have your hubby pop bags of popcorn and hot chocolate and load your swagger wagon. Don’t forget to crank up your Justin Bieber holiday tunes! When the kids climb into bed, they will find this fab golden ticket hidden. The kids are instructed to grab their slippers and head for the car. Upon entrance to The Minivan Express, hole punch the ticket, and drive around the QC while basking in these Smarty Holiday lights! You just might bump into our pink & green Smarty Party this Friday night!
1. Hillside Hunger Drive-Through in Myers Park – This street has banded together with the cutest and most creative handmade chicken wire balls (or you could go all Martha Stewart and order fancy versions) hung high from the trees. They have a drop-off for canned goods for Loaves & Fishes. This photo doesn’t do it justice – the cool factor is that almost every house on the street appears to have agreed to a competition of who can hang theirs the highest. So fun!
2. The South Charlotte Santa on Sherwood Forest Drive off Colony Road. This is one of the most impressive streets in all of Charlotte. They hand out over 10,000 candy canes each season and collect donations for St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital.
3. Brandenburg Court in Belingrath neighborhood in SouthPark – Props to my neighbors who make our holiday season so fun! To me, this is the best Clark Griswold display I have ever seen!
4. Ballantyne – Marvin Creek in the culdesac on Kindling Wood. This display has larger-than-life inflatables.
5. SouthPark – Bellechasse in Beverly Woods East – TONS of inflatables.
6. North Charlotte Griswold all the way – tied are 15419 and 15038 Hugh McAuley Drive in the MacAulay neighborhood, Huntersville. (Different spelling for street & neighborhood). Last year they even had music!
7. North Charlotte in Huntersville – Hillcrest Dr has a house that has lights EVERYWHERE!
8. North Charlotte – Washam Potts Rd in Cornelius.
The usuals include Carolina Christmas at the Speedway, McAdenville Christmastown USA, Holidays at the Garden – Danielle Stowe Botanical Garden and Christmas Wonderland of Lights – Zootastic.
Post your comments and tell us where to check out your favorite neighborhood holiday displays. Be as specific as possible so we can all find the “ahhh”. It’s your turn shine, so bring it!
Around Ballantyne, Allyson Park neighborhood. The Cook family has lights set to music. They take donations for A Child’s Place. Very enjoyable show! Evenings 6-10.
This is my friend’s home! It is an awesome amount of work that goes into doing this each fall! They do such a service to the community by providing a fun show of lights and they help A Child’s Place with an amazing donation each year (please consider donating if you drive by)!
I did this and it was awesome! Seriously my kids thought it was the greatest thing ever. Our Parent Polar Express took them to McAdenville and they loved it!
Hi!! Thx for the tips on lights!! I have to say our neighborhood Ardrey is super creative! We drive it every night and see something new and impressive!! See you soon! Julee
We like to drive around the neighborhoods in Stonehaven and Beverly Crest. The kids love just driving around anywhere while we listen and sing a long to Christmas carols. My boys would be in heaven over this prize!!
Gray Moss Rd in Providence Plantation has a bunch of inflatables.
Thanks for the plug on the Hillside Holiday Hunger Drive Through for Loaves and Fishes. Check out my blog at hhhungerdrive.tumblr.com.
By the way, how did you hear about it?
Check out the home in Kingsmead off of Rea Road (south of Audrey Kell and the Blakeney area). It’s on the corner of Kingsmead and Mapesbury. It is the most fun, child-like decoration you can imagine! Your kids will LOVE it! I know people whose kids beg to go back every night! I believe they are doing a canned food drive as well, so come prepared to donate!
The kids loved this!! Thanks for all the awesome tips and suggestions. Such a cool adventure!! We still have more stops on our list this week.
Thomas Ave. is a Charlotte must-see at Christmas!
The Kingsmead house is awesome. Saw it last night just driving around randomly. They even have a leg lamp in one of the windows!