We made it! It’s the first official day of Spring!!
Because I know many of you are probably like me and have the itch to de-clutter but are lost before you even start, I’ve asked professional organizer extraordinaire, Julie Betram, owner of The Organizing Pro, to share a few of her suggestions for moms to get and stay organized (because, Lord knows I am NOT going to dole out any advice on the subject!). I know it’s daunting – all of those papers, clutter, toys, and STUFF – I have it, too. But, these quick tips will help you jump-start the de-cluttering process, and you’ll feel better in no time.
1. Disorganization is all about unmade decisions so find the time in your schedule to make those decisions. If you have to make an appointment with yourself, then do it, or have an accountability partner.
2. Label, label, label. You can never have too many labels and when more than one person is using the system it is critical to the success. Even use clothing labels on kids’ clothes if someone helps you with your laundry. (Cheryl’s side note: I found awesome labels at OliverLabels.com – the clothing and dish labels seriously don’t come off. I just had them print our last name – with all of my boys it’s easier to just do that because of hand-me-downs!)
3. Have the right containers to store your stuff. In other words, make sure you have the right “home’ for your things. Even something as simple as a leather tray sitting on your kitchen counter can be a “home” for the mail as it comes in.
4. Always sort “like” items together. Puzzles on one shelf, board games on another, etc. Long sleeve shirts hanging together, short sleeves together and within that- white shirts together, beige etc. It will be a huge time saver for your morning routine.
5. Only keep the things you love and use. Set aside a time at least once or twice a year to go through the kids’ things and evaluate them with the kids. Teaching kids the skill of learning how to prioritize will be critical for them as they go through life.
Thank you so much, Julie, for your tips. Check out The Organizing Pro’s website for more information about Julie’s amazing services (I can personally attest to her awesome-ness).
And here’s to a more organized Spring (clinking wine glasses on a screened-in porch on a beautiful Carolina Spring day)!