When my twins were born 3 1/2 years ago, the hip baby gift was a blankie. I’m pretty sure we received 6 or 7 sets of super soft chenille blankies. Seemed a little much, but I kept all of them just in case we needed back-ups. So glad I did because we are now down to one! However, recently, we had a crazy thing happen to Owen in the middle of the night and it involved his beloved green blankie (see photo).
While I was out of town on one of my girls weekends this spring (still feeling guilty!), Randy woke to a really scary situation. He heard one of the twins crying and he went upstairs thinking it was just a bad dream. He found Owen sitting up in his bed crying about his finger. It was dark and Randy didn’t think much of it until he turned on the light. Upon closer inspection, Randy found Owen’s pinky finger completely black and entangled in his green blankie. This scared the tar out of Randy and he almost called 911. He rushed Owen downstairs and cut the string and immediately massaged the finger to get the circulation going. This eventually worked but Randy really felt Owen was on the cusp of losing his finger.
Here is the craziest part of the story. I was with a group of moms on a girls weekend and I told them what happened. When one of the girls came home on Sunday, her daughter was napping. That very day, her daughter also awoke with her finger entangled in her blankie, certainly not to the extent that Owen’s was, but enough to wake her up and cry out for mommy. I can’t decide if there is a flaw in this certain brand of blankie or if I was just a negligent mommy for not paying attention to the dangling strings on the trim of the blankie. Our other twin took to a different brand, has had it and loved on it dearly for the same length of time and there are no dangling threads anywhere. Maybe the one Owen liked was just too soft and fragile. Regardless, we tossed those blankies cold turkey! He now sleeps with my favorite toddler bed-size blanket, the NAP blanket by Brookstone. Very safe for the time-being!
Have any of you had this happen? I guess my advice to everyone is just be smart and be aware of every single thing that goes to bed with your children. Every thread can potentially be dangerous.