Looking for the perfect spring break vacation that your entire fam will enjoy? I have the perfect spot for you. Head down to Palmetto Dunes Resort in Hilton Head Island, SC!
Our fam got to enjoy this fab resort’s amenities over Thanksgiving break, one of my personal favorite times to hit the beach. Actually, who am I kidding? This Smarty Mama will put her toes in the sand all year long! And with this cold weather finally hitting Charlotte, I find myself already dreaming of flip flops, ocean breezes and beach cruisers! So I’m talking about spring break planning, so let’s get to it!
Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort is located at the heart of Hilton Head Island, named as the #1 Beach Town in the US by Parents Magazine. Its three miles of sun-kissed Atlantic Ocean beachfront provide the perfect venue for three world-class golf courses, various condo and vacation home rentals, a full service marina, an award-winning tennis center, and an 11-mile lagoon. Guests may kayak or canoe the lagoon, sharing the pristine, natural environment with 40 species of birds and fish.
Our family stayed in a villa in the Inverness Village and it was perfect. When we arrived, we had 6 bikes ready and waiting for us to cruise all over the property. We rode our bikes EVERYWHERE, it was so much fun!
Here are the Plym Top Picks of things to do when you head to Palmetto Dunes:
1) Pickleball. When the Palmetto Dunes team encouraged me to reserve some courts, I was thinking that this was a sport for the senior crowd. Well I couldn’t have been more wrong! Pickleball is a cross between tennis and ping pong and let me tell ya, it gets really competitive, especially when you get invited to play doubles with an experienced senior mixed double team. My hubby and I got to eat a big piece of humble pie when we got SMOKED by our new pickleball friends! Our kids loved it just as much or more because it’s really easy to get started and is fun for all ages. We will be back and more versed when we come back to this vacay spot. Rumor has it Palmetto Dunes Tennis Center is going to double the # of pickleball courts this spring from 4 to 8 due to its popularity. So there should be plenty of court time for your fam to enjoy!
2) Rent kayaks at Hilton Head Outfitters. You’ll head out on an 11-mile inland lagoon system and it’s perfect for fishing or just casually enjoying the wildlife. Our kids loved this outing and all of the wildlife that we saw along the way. Hilton Head Outfitters also provides bike rentals, fishing charters, and surf lessons for your entire stay. The shop has loads of cute tee-shirts, sweatshirts, gear and toys!
We even saw a Gator…
3) Eat at Big Jim’s. It’s very casual and delish. Big Jim’s is open 7 days a week for breakfast, lunch and dinner serving signature Southern dishes, including BBQ, gourmet burgers and grilled pizza plus homemade soups, salads, seafood, steaks and fall-off-the-bone ribs. Big Jim’s offers a kid’s menu, wine and beer menu, take-out orders and catering. I highly encourage the catering if you have a big family to entertain, so you can take advantage of the beautiful outdoors.
4) Hit the Beach. And on bikes for sure. We spent all day at the beach, which is my kind of vacay. Mom and girls grabbed our favorite books and beach chairs while the boys played beach golf. It was picture perfect.
5) Grab a cocktail & dinner at the Dunes House for sunset. Best backdrop at the resort. Nature at its finest.
6) Hit Pure Barre at Shelter Cove. You know I love, love, love Pure Barre and I was THRILLED to find it while on vacation. I bought a week pass and went every morning before the fam woke up. It was the perfect way start to the day.
7) Speaking of Shelter Cove…This mecca is right across the street and has everything you need for your stay. You can start with your Kroger grocery run so you can stock up on essentials. Next up is shopping – lots of adorable shops like Copper Penny and Coastal Provisions Company. It’s also home to Kilwins, my kids can sniff this out from miles away. We hit this treat station and often! Shelter Cove Harbour is home to gorgeous waterfront dining and special events. So check this site out before your arrive. Rumor has it that New Backwater Adventures will be offering guided catamaran wildlife & sunset tours of Broad Creek at Shelter Cove Harbour beginning in March. This will be a great family excursion to build into your itinerary!
The Plym fam gives Palmetto Dunes Resort a HUGE thumbs up and we plan to be back and often! It was so easy to relax, get outside and enjoy the outdoors.
For more information on Palmetto Dunes:
Palmetto Dunes is running two specials that will be perfect for spring break.
The Outdoor Adventure Package – 4 days, 3 nights (starts at $180/person/night in March) – kayaking, bikes, dolphin cruise, and more!
The Ultimate Family Package – 8 days, 6 nights (starts at $63/person/night in March) – same activities as above, just longer stay.
Or go to www.palmettodunes.com and click on vacation rentals. You can customize your stay from here. Happy travel planning – the best kind of planning to do in my opinion:-)