Smarty Service Project: 750 Purple Rainbow Loom Bracelets Needed
Every so often, you come across a story that changes your perspective on life. That happened to me with the story of Isabella Santos in December of 2012. As soon as I read about Isabella, I could not stop thinking about her. Or her family. But most importantly, her mom, Erin. I simply could not imagine being in her shoes ~ and never in a million years would I ever want to be. She lived every mother’s worst nightmare. And she’s still fighting…
The Isabella Santos Foundation (ISF) captured our hearts last year through Erin Santos’ journey with her daughter, Isabella, who lost her battle to neuroblastoma in June of 2012. Erin is a true warrior by it’s very definition – one who is engaged in or experienced in battle. Erin shared her story on Caringbridge and now on her personal blog. Her story was followed by thousands of people locally and nationally. It ripped our hearts to pieces. We Charlotte moms vowed to help Erin move mountains to make a dent in pediatric cancer research and awareness. Since September is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month it seemed to be the perfect time to catch up with Erin. Although Erin is fighting for this month to be named Childhood Cancer
Awareness Action Month, true to her warrior spirit… Make sure you tune in to CSP on Saturday to read Cheryl’s interview with Erin.
Smarties, it’s time to be aware, be present and take action!
We need your help to make 750 purple Rainbow Loom bracelets for the ISF 5K for Kids Cancer!
CSP is partnering with the Isabella Santos Foundation for the 6th Annual 5K for Kids Cancer on 9/21/13. We are collecting purple Rainbow Loom bracelets (remember these were THE kids trend of the summer??) to pass out to the runners and walkers on race day. Purple was Isabella’s favorite color and we want to paint the race purple to commemorate Isabella and continue to build awareness for children’s cancer research. CSP team members will be under the pink & green Smarty tent and will have hundreds of bracelets (hopefully THOUSANDS with your help:-) so please stop by and grab one. We’d love your support as these bracelets will be made with love by local Charlotte children. Children helping children, is there a better “pay it forward” than that?
We need local students (boys & girls of all ages) to make (15) Rainbow Loom bracelets each. This is the PERFECT service hours project for your middle schoolers and high schoolers! Kids can choose any color combination of purple, white and turquoise. But each bracelet MUST have purple in it. We are also hosting a contest for the top 3 bracelet designs and the winners will each win a $50 Gift Card from Brixx Pizza. We’ll announce our winners on race day. So show us how creative you can be, all in honor of Isabella!
Collection of the bracelets prior to Race Day:
CSP will be collecting the completed bracelets this week. Please email us to coordinate drop-off of bracelets at email@example.com so I can sign off on their service hours (if your child needs this for their school, if not, they just do it out of the goodness of their heart:-) and coordinate collection.
We are hoping to raise 750 bracelets or more so each participant of the Family 1-mile Fun Run can have a bracelet. In addition, there will be close to 3K runners in the 5K, so if we get more than 750, that would be awesome! Please pay it forward by spreading this project all over facebook, twitter, instagram, you name it! If you are a local business owner, go ahead and forward to your email list or post as a flyer. Every bracelet will help make a difference and honor Isabella.
More info about the ISF 5K for Kids Cancer:
- On September 21st, 2013, the ISF will host the 6th Annual 5K Kids for Cancer event held in Ballantyne Corporate Park to raise money for Neuroblastoma Research and Pediatric Cancer. This is THE 5K of the year!
- 5K and One Mile Fun Run – the whole fam can enjoy!
- The Fun Zone will consist of Photo Booths, Bouncehouses, Sir Purr, Chubby Checker, TopCats, Checkmates, Face Painters, 3 Wishes with Molly Grantham, Purple Bracelets under the CSP tent and more.
- A SILENT AUCTION will be on-site and online. People can pre-register to bid right from their smartyPhone, with up to the minute status of your item. So whether you are at the event or on your couch – you can participate. AUCTION WILL OPEN UP Wednesday, Sept 18th and run through Race Day. They will send out the LINK to register and allow you to go for it! They have so much to offer…trips, sports tickets, jewelry, Girls Night Out Packages, Golf Packages, Wellness Packages, Legos, iPads, iPods, Xboxes, and more!
- Raffles will also be held throughout the morning. TICKETS can be purchased HERE or purchased at Packet pick up and day of Race.
- To register, click here.
- Contact Info:
Follow on ISF on FB: https://www.facebook.com/IsabellaSantosFoundation
Follow on FB for the Race: https://www.facebook.com/5kforkidscancer
Follow on Twitter: Twitter/theisfoundation
Follow on PINTEREST: http://pinterest.com/isf3wishes/
The ISF has coined the phrase #isf3wishes – you’ve probably seen it all over social media. Isabella’s 3 wishes were to 1. Beat Cancer; 2. Grow Hair; 3. Live my Dreams.
What are your 3 Wishes? Get the kids involved – post to social media with #isf3wishes. Create awareness through action. And help us paint Ballantyne purple on September 21st by making bracelets!