And our Back-to-School Giveaway Week continues…
As we start the school year, parents are especially mindful of ways they can help their children improve academic performance. One “not-so-obvious” answer is with art enrichment classes, particularly as school budget cuts continue to shift curricula more & more towards more core subjects such as reading & math.
small hands big art, a children’s art studio in South Charlotte, recently received a BOB Award for “Best Kids Class” by Charlotte Magazine. They offer art classes for kids age 18m – 14yrs, and Early Fall classes start the week of Sept. 2nd!
Students have ample individual freedom to explore their creativity while learning about famous artists, art history, & art mediums (such as painting, drawing, sculpture, printmaking & more). Classes are small, with two teachers in every class. The small hands big art staff encourages and nurtures children’s artistic development while helping them reap the many developmental benefits of art:
* Improved Visual Learning Skills – now more than ever, children learn from visual sources (just think about how proficiently they operate your smart phone & tablet!!). They live in a digital media world that requires them to have sharp visual-spatial skills, and art education can be beneficial in teaching them how to interpret & process information from visual cues and make decisions as a result.
* Improved Language Development – students learn to use descriptive words to describe their creations and talk about feelings and emotions.
* Improved Gross & Fine Motor Development – particularly for younger children, holding a paintbrush, drawing with oil pastels, and using scissors develops useful dexterity skills that children will need for writing.
* Improved Decision Making Skills – A report by Americans for the Arts shows that art education strengthens problem-solving and critical-thinking skills.
* Improved Academic Performance – The same Americans for the Arts report also shows that children who participate regularly in the arts (three hours a day, three days a week for a year) are four times more likely to win an award for an essay or poem, participate in a math or science fair, and be recognized for academic achievement.
* Inventiveness / Resourcefulness – Most of us know all-too-well the challenges of having jobs that require us to think out of the box in order to implement creative and innovative solutions to everyday problems. Creating art teaches children about taking risks and expressing themselves which helps them grow to become critical thinkers and leaders who can dream big and imagine new possibilities, not just individuals who need to follow others.
The Smarty Giveaway:
One lucky Smarty will receive a FREE 6-week session of Mixed Media Art Classes, a $125 value! Here is what you need to do:
1) Leave a comment below telling us which back-to-school mindset you are in: ready for school to start?? or want one more week of summer?!
2) Like small hands big art on facebook and CSP on facebook. Bonus, tag a Smarty girlfriend via our handy “f like” share button on this post and you’re entered twice! But you have to let us know on CSP facebook!
3) You must be a CSP e-newsletter subscriber.
* Rules of Entry: One entry per Smarty. Winner must reside in Greater Charlotte Area. We’ll announce our winners here on CSP on Thursday, August 29th!
You can find small hands big art at:
small hands big art
8025 Ardrey Kell Rd., Suite 103
Charlotte, NC 28277
blog, facebook & twitter
Don’t forget our other awesome Back-to-School Giveaway!
The Jami Masters School of Dance $100 Giveaway:
One lucky Smarty will win a $100 gift certificate to be used towards dance attire and shoes at the largest dance hub of Charlotte, Jami Masters School of Dance.
The JMSD Philosophy: To instill the love of dance in all of their students. They encourage each child to be the best they can be, and do this in a loving, caring, nurturing, and noncompetitive environment. Through careful, supervised dance training, students gain confidence and charm while developing stronger, healthier bodies.
Click here for details. This is a popular one, so don’t wait to enter!
We already started school, but definitely want ONE MORE WEEK! (or more!!) Summer flew by too quickly. 🙁
Ready for school to start back!
Really want one more week!!
Ready for school to start. next summer hoping for better weather!!!
Another week of summer!! Esp b/c I am a teacher, too!!
Another week of summer!!
So so ready!
ready for school to start!
We just started back this week, but I would have LOVED another couple weeks of summer…and sunny days too!
I am ready for school to start back, but maybe not as ready as my kids 🙂
Ready for school. Love my boys, but we have spent 24/7 this summer. I think he is just as ready!
Another week with my little one before he starts school!
Ready!!! for school to start
Definitely ready for school to start!!!
I’m so excited for school to start back because I see that my son is excited!
I’m definitely ready for preschool to start, especially now that so many neighborhood kids are already back. Leaves no playmates for my 4 year old! I tagged a friend on facebook for an extra entry into the contest!
Ready to start
We are ready to get back into the school routine! Summer has been fun, and my kids have had a blast with camp and swimming, but we are ready for everything about school except the super early mornings.
Ready for preschool!! We are new to charlotte and with a newborn at home My 3 year old is ready to make friends and escape varying baby!
Definitely one more week at home with my boys!:)
Mixed emotions…….Ready, but still want more time with my boys!!!
Bring it on!! Ready for school to start!
Ready for school!!
Ready for school to start!!!
The boys are too little for school!