May is water safety month and we know why. Summer is right around the corner and the time to start preparing our children for the pool, lake and ocean starts now! Our friends at British Swim School shared some eye-popping statistics with us that serve as a great reminder to get on the stick and get your children signed up!
Statistics about Drowning:
- Drowning is the leading cause of accidental death in the U.S. for children ages 4 and under, according to the CDC.
- Drowning is the second leading cause of accident death in the U.S. for ages 14 & under, according to the CDC.
Scientific Benefits of Swimming for Children:
- Participation in formal swim lessons reduces risk of drowning by 88%, according to the National Institute of Health (National Institute of Health, Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med, 2009)
- Children who learn to swim at a young age, not only are able to save their own life, but are reaching developmental milestones earlier than the norm.
According to Griffith University research (2013), young children who participate in swim lessons at an early age increase their overall development, so that they are
- 20 months ahead in understanding directions
- 17 months ahead in story recall
- 10 months ahead in cognitive skills
British Swim School of Metro Charlotte has throughout the metro Charlotte area, including Ballantyne, Piper Glen, and Rock Hill. To find out more about their program and to sign up, click our previous Smarty post about British Swim School!