By Kristi Madron, Charlotte Mecklenburg Library
There’s a popular song this time of year that has the line, “And mom and dad can hardly wait for school to start again!” Kids are so excited for all the joys of the holidays that they bounce off the walls at home. Parents really need something fun to keep those kids occupied for a little while so that the parents can tackle some of their to-do lists or to just take a few minutes’ breather to be present. Well, Charlotte Mecklenburg Library is here for you! There are wonderful programs happening during the time that school is out, both online and at the library (outside.) These programs cover your toddlers to tweens. There are a few highlighted here but check the Library’s calendar of events to see other events that this space couldn’t squeeze in!
– You’ll want to pick up your Take and Make kit of winter fun from University City Library for their Winter Celebration Family Storytime on December 23. Click here for details.
– Also, you’ll want to get your own free copy of the classic Ezra Jack Keats book, The Snowy Day and learn some amazing tips on how to read with your child using Active Reading on December 29. Learn more here.
School age events:
– The weather outside not so snowy? Well, South Boulevard Library is bringing the science and making “snow” inside. You’ll need to swing by the library to get your kit before the experiments begin on Zoom, Tuesday December 21. Register here.
– No need to pick which one of the above to attend, as they are on Zoom one after the other. And for just some delightful silly fun, attend Independence Regional Library’s New Year’s (almost) Eve Puppet Party on Zoom on December 30. Click here for details.
Tween events (children ages 9-12):
– South Boulevard is hosting the last Arts and Science Council Clayworks Pottery Zoom class during the break. Pick up your clay beforehand at the library so your kids can pinch, roll and score their own creation, no kiln needed! Learn more about the Monday, December 20 event here.
– South County Regional Library is going to host a Winter Solstice program on Monday December 20 on their back patio in the early afternoon. Their list of needed ingredients is very mysterious! Sign-up now!
– Play Minecraft with other Library kids on a private library server! This does require that you use the Java version (no iPads or tablets) and have another device for the Zoom directions while building cooperatively. SouthPark Regional Library staff are hosting this event online on December 22. Register here.