PhotoCreds: VisitNC.com ft. Dry Falls Lookout
It’s almost Labor Day weekend and we’ve rounded up our Top 10 Smarty favs to do with your family that are a little different than your neighborhood pool. Which is always a good time:-)
1) Let’s go chasing waterfalls – The North Carolina mountains are home to hundreds of waterfalls. These scenic spots are perfect to hike to with the whole fam. We love this Waterfall Hikes list and How to Find 16 of NC’s Best Waterfalls.
2) LAST CALL for whitewater rafting/tubing/kayaking with High Mountain Expeditions – High Mountain Expeditions offers half and full day tubing, kayaking, canoeing and whitewater rafting outings that will be a hit for your entire family! Ends after Labor Day, plan your trip now!
3) Head to SouthTown Wake Park & Aqua Park – SouthTown Wake Park has been the talk of the teen scene in South Charlotte this summer. It’s such a good option to get outside safely and enjoy some Carolina sunshine while trying out some new tricks. With options for big and little kids, it’s a great time to be had by all!
4) Hit the U.S. National Whitewater Center – Team CSP loves the U.S. National Whitewater Center for all kinds of fun activities including whitewater rafting, whitewater kayaking, flatwater kayaking, stand-up paddleboarding, ziplines, adventure ropes courses, mountain biking, and more. Most activities require a pass, but for mountain biking and hiking, you just pay $6/day for parking. Their big Labor Day celebration was canceled, but they are still hosting a trail race.
5) The Quarry at Carrigan Farms – The Quarry is a Team Smarty favorite because it really feels like you’re on vacation yet it’s a pretty quick drive from just about anywhere in the QC. Located just outside Charlotte in Mooresville, The Quarry is fed by an underground spring and rimmed in rock that rises to 70 feet – it’s absolutely stunning. The water is emerald green and blue with gray granite cliffs and a white, sandy beach – it’s perfect for a family picnic and swimming on a hot Carolina day.
6) Pack up the family truckster for a drive-in movie – We rounded up most of the area drive-in theaters earlier this summer, just click on each theater link to see what’s featured this weekend. Note: some locations are not showing movies this weekend, always check before heading out.
7) Head to an orchard for cider, apple-picking, cider tasting and fun – Smarty picks close to Charlotte are Windy Hill Orchard & Cider Mill and Sky Top Orchard.
8) Go to the Charlotte Regional Farmer’s Market – We love any and all farmers markets and we’re lucky to have the biggest farmer’s market right here in the QC. Plan to get there early, like by 8:15 to get the best of the best. This is a great family activity and it serves a purpose – feeds your fam!
9) Hike Crowder’s Mountain and surrounding trails – Our Smarty friends at BlazeCLT have a great article with lots of tips for a family hike for all ages.
10) Concerts on the Lake on Tega Cay – Darrell Harwood will be performing and concerts only accessible via Lake Wylie.