Dance, Circus and Theater come together for high flying fun at Charlotte Cirque & Dance Center!
Why sit indoors all summer long when you can fly? Safely, of course.
Kids and teens can build confidence, increase core strength and lifelong friends through a wide range of dance and cirque camps at Charlotte’s Cirque and Dance Center, one of the premiere cirque and dance centers in the Southeast, the school of Caroline Calouche & Co.
Popularized by Cirque du Soleil, aerial dance incorporates the use of silks, trapeze, lyra (aerial hoop), rope, sling or net to dance in the air. The art form continues to evolve and is gaining recognition as a fitness program.
Summer Programs at the Charlotte Cirque & Dance Center (CC&DC) begin June 11 and are available for ages 6+ who are newbies and for those with experience in dance, acrobatics and aerial dance. All programs are 9am – 5pm and last 1 – 3 weeks. The week-long camps are a great fit for youth and teens who want to have a unique summer experience in a safe and supportive environment.
“Most of our summer programs have a 50/50 blend of dance and aerial,” says founder Caroline Calouche. “We find that dance helps greatly with coordination and musicality, which allows students to reach their goals in the air quicker. It also is a great form of cross training. We value technique and exploration in all our classes.”
Dance and cirque can be demanding and require a high degree of strength, power, flexibility, courage and grace. At CC&DC, their teachers create a supportive and welcoming environment. No matter what shape, size or ability, the experienced staff will help students of all ages reach their goals in dance and cirque.
“It’s wonderful to see students become empowered and gain confidence by doing things they previously may have thought they couldn’t do,” she says. “Our instructors are passionate people who take into account the many types of bodies and personality types. There is truly something for everyone.”
CC&DC goals include encouraging and inspiring creativity, innovation and dedication.
Summer Program Options:
– Silks and Musical Theater: learn all about the basic skills and movements of aerial silk while also exploring various Broadway shows and jazz dance styles.
– Dance and Trapeze: explore the basics of trapeze apparatus and dive into a variety of dance movement including jazz, ballet, and contemporary.
– Dance and Aerial Silks: discover basic aerial silk and sling poses and transitions while exploring a variety of dance movement including jazz and contemporary.
– Silks and Acrobatics: soar on the Aerial Silks and tumble on the ground with solo and partner acrobatics.
– Cirque Camp: explore a wide variety of circus skills including aerial sling, trapeze, juggling, and acrobatics.
– Summer Intensive | Ages 9 – 12 & 13+: Summer Intensive are for students interested in that extra push and who either have dance, acrobatic and/or aerial dance experience. Prices are higher for Summer Intensive weeks than our camps because students will have guest and faculty teachers along with the opportunity to perform in our studio theater with costumes and lights.
Summer Programs are at 9315-E Monroe Rd., Charlotte. The week culminates with a camper performance at 4:30 p.m. on Friday. Camp fees start at $275 per week, with a multi-week discount. For more information or to reserve a spot, visit cltcirquedancecenter.org.
Smarties, you can find Charlotte Cirque & Dance Center at:
MORE ABOUT CAROLINE CALOUCHE & CO. | CHARLOTTE CIRQUE & DANCE CENTER
Caroline Calouche & Co. is Charlotte’s only dance and cirque company and school. Founded in 2006, CC&Co. is a nonprofit organization dedicated to inspiring people of diverse backgrounds to explore beyond their boundaries through performance and education. CC&Co. operates Charlotte Cirque & Dance Center, one of the premiere cirque and dance centers in the Southeast. CC&Co. encourages and inspires creativity, innovation and dedication, while training dancers to be expressive performers on the ground and in the air. Fore more information, visit carolinecalouche.org and cltcirquedancecenter.org.