Command Z. I love it. If you’re a Mac user, you probably love it, too. Command Z = Undo – as in erase the last action you took. A friend taught me that keyboard shortcut when she was walking me through a program a few months ago. She casually mentioned, “Wouldn’t it be so great if you could Command Z things in your life?”
Why, yes, that would be fantastically awesome.
Ever since she said that, I’ve started thinking of memories in terms of what I would and wouldn’t Command Z:
– Registering for that terrible Linguistics class freshmen year in college where the final exam was to phonetically translate African tribes’ languages? Command Z. (How do you decipher clicks??)
– The last beer I had the night before the 5:30 am Flywheel class? Command Z (because I almost Command Z’d it up right into my towel during one sprint)
– Wearing overalls in college? Command Z (I swear others were wearing them!)
– Pressuring myself into breastfeeding when it clearly was not working with #2? Command Z
– Bickering with a 2 year old about wearing a short-all with smocked turkeys on it when all he wanted to wear was a Panther’s jersey? Command Z.
– Inappropriately speaking what I was thinking? Command Z (too many times to count).
– Obsessively comparing my kids’ developmental milestones to other kids’? Command Z . They all start crawling, walking talking and DON’T STOP.
– Recovering a sofa in black and white stripes because I saw it in a House Beautiful magazine? Command Z – that design clearly does not work in every house.
– The guy (dare I say “Dud”?) I dated before meeting my husband? Eh, I wouldn’t Command Z it because I wouldn’t have met the latter without the former, but I would definitely not Command S (save) or Command C, Command V (copy, paste). No way.
Ok, wait, so then there’s the Command C, Command V thing – copy, paste for short. Hmmm, what would I copy, paste?
– Obviously, seeing my kids’ faces for the first time the minute they were delivered? Copy, paste, copy, paste, copy, paste…all the way down the page.
– Wedding? Copy, paste (although I might Command Z my dress – I am being tempted by too many episodes of “Say Yes to the Dress.” And, on a different note, I can totally hear my friend Rachel saying she’s sure my husband also wanted to Command Z my dress hee hee).
– The one – possibly two – decent nights of sleep I got in the last 10 years? Copy, paste.
– Lunch with a friend when the cell phones are put away and you don’t have to pick any kids up at 1:00 from preschool? Copy, paste.
– The one hour (OK, maybe the one minute) that the kids are all getting along? Copy, paste.
– The way my kids look when they are asleep? Copy, paste.
Actually, if you really start to think about life in keyboard shortcuts, you realize that you can’t possibly Command Z too many things and still have the things you want to copy, paste. Do you agree? What would you Command Z and what would you Command C, Command V?