As we start the school year, parents are especially mindful of ways they can help their children improve academic performance. One “not-so-obvious” answer is with art enrichment classes, particularly as school budget cuts continue to shift curricula more & more towards more core subjects such as reading & math.
small hands big art, a children’s art studio in South Charlotte, recently received a BOB Award for “Best Kids Class” by Charlotte Magazine. They offer art classes for kids age 18m – 14yrs, and Early Fall classes start the week of Sept. 2nd!
Students have ample individual freedom to explore their creativity while learning about famous artists, art history, & art mediums (such as painting, drawing, sculpture, printmaking & more). Classes are small, with two teachers in every class. The small hands big art staff encourages and nurtures children’s artistic development while helping them reap the many developmental benefits of art:
* Improved Visual Learning Skills – now more than ever, children learn from visual sources (just think about how proficiently they operate your smart phone & tablet!!). They live in a digital media world that requires them to have sharp visual-spatial skills, and art education can be beneficial in teaching them how to interpret & process information from visual cues and make decisions as a result.
* Improved Language Development – students learn to use descriptive words to describe their creations and talk about feelings and emotions.
* Improved Gross & Fine Motor Development – particularly for younger children, holding a paintbrush, drawing with oil pastels, and using scissors develops useful dexterity skills that children will need for writing.
* Improved Decision Making Skills – A report by Americans for the Arts shows that art education strengthens problem-solving and critical-thinking skills.
* Improved Academic Performance – The same Americans for the Arts report also shows that children who participate regularly in the arts (three hours a day, three days a week for a year) are four times more likely to win an award for an essay or poem, participate in a math or science fair, and be recognized for academic achievement.
* Inventiveness / Resourcefulness – Most of us know all-too-well the challenges of having jobs that require us to think out of the box in order to implement creative and innovative solutions to everyday problems. Creating art teaches children about taking risks and expressing themselves which helps them grow to become critical thinkers and leaders who can dream big and imagine new possibilities, not just individuals who need to follow others.
The Smarty Giveaway:
One lucky Smarty will receive a FREE 6-week session of Mixed Media Art Classes, a $125 value! Here is what you need to do:
1) Leave a comment below telling us which back-to-school mindset you are in: ready for school to start?? or want one more week of summer?!
2) Like small hands big art on facebook and CSP on facebook. Bonus, tag a Smarty girlfriend via our handy “f like” share button on this post and you’re entered twice! But you have to let us know on CSP facebook!
3) You must be a CSP e-newsletter subscriber.
* Rules of Entry: One entry per Smarty. Winner must reside in Greater Charlotte Area. We’ll announce our winners here on CSP on Thursday, August 29th!
You can find small hands big art at:
Don’t forget our other awesome Back-to-School Giveaway!
One lucky Smarty will win a $100 gift certificate to be used towards dance attire and shoes at the largest dance hub of Charlotte, Jami Masters School of Dance.
The JMSD Philosophy: To instill the love of dance in all of their students. They encourage each child to be the best they can be, and do this in a loving, caring, nurturing, and noncompetitive environment. Through careful, supervised dance training, students gain confidence and charm while developing stronger, healthier bodies.
Click here for details. This is a popular one, so don’t wait to enter!