There are a million and one ways to create a nursery. Everything from paint colors, to area rugs, to color and style of a crib. I’m here to share some of my observations in the top nursery trends.
1. Soft base hues. Baby pinks and baby blues are always in style as a good base color. Lately, I’ve noticed a lot of greys. These colors are very appealing and soft and look great when paired with a pop of color. Baby pink looks great with a bold green. I’ve totally fallen for the greys mixed with bright pops of yellow. It’s gender neutral and looks very modern.
2. Wall decals. I want to kiss the wall decal inventor on the lips. What a great way to spice up a room! There are a variety of wall decals to choose from, including small birds and bugs to large trees and even words. They are easy to apply and even easier to remove. We used a tree decal with two colors of leaves (we had the option to choose the colors) and we love it, you can see it in the background of the photo below. Just search on Amazon for a wide variety of inspiration.
3. Artwork. Who says that art is to be contained to your dining and great rooms? Inspire your children through a variety of colors and shapes. This is a great DIY, too. Tap in to your inner artist and create some wonderful works of art.
Smarty craft courtesy of Pinterest: trace a Disney princess on any color construction paper. Cut the silhouette out and place it on white, colored or even patterned paper and frame. Tada – princess art!
4. Storage. This is an absolute MUST in any nursery. There are many stylish ways to store diapers, wipes, ointments, etc. We installed white floating shelves and stored our baby goodies in foldable IKEA bins that matched our pink and green color scheme. IKEA is great for cheap and stylish, as well as whimsical storage solutions.
5. Furniture. Clean and simple, yet comfortable is in. Cribs have taken on more clean lines and simple looks. I love this white crib from Land of Nod – it looks modern and would look great in any nursery. The gliders have really evolved, becoming more plush and welcoming. The key for this style is comfort. Test out the gliders and think about the times at 3am you’ll be sitting there rocking your little one to sleep. Could you envision it? Then get it. Aesthetically, these gliders come in multiple colors and textures. You could even have them upholstered in your choice of color or pattern. Check out the plethora of nursery seating options from Pottery Barn Kids.
Smarty moms, young and old, what nursery trends are you currently loving or wish were around when your little ones were in the nursery?
Back by popular demand, we present the 2013 Smarty Awards! It’s your turn to shout out to your favorite local businesses. We’ve asked our Smarty Moms and Dads every Saturday for over FIVE years about their favorite things to do around the QC. It’s time to give these businesses some much deserved recognition and let you, Smarty Charlotte, cast your vote. Click here to vote!