It is one of the first things we teach our kids “ No fibbing” and “ Tell the Truth”. Well have you actually thought about how often in a day you tell a lie? Let me clarify. I know the world would be a horrible place if we didn’t tell some little white lies, the harmless truth benders. I never want my husband to actually say, “ Yes honey you look like an enormous cow in that outfit” but sometimes I think I want a smidge of honesty mixed in. Think of it like a compliment sandwich. “Your hair looks great, maybe that red dress that I love would look better, and wow, did you lose some lbs?”
The other day I actually tried to keep track of all the lies I told. They mostly came in the form of saying “Yes” instead of “No” No is a very powerful word. I know a ton of people who are scared to say it, they are mainly women. We are supposed to be superwomen who do it all. It is okay to say NO, it’s liberating. Just think of all the stuff you wouldn’t have to do. Here is the deal. People will still like you. They may even like you more for being honest with them and if they aren’t then WHO CARES.
I am not advocating saying NO to every thing that comes along but pick and choose wisely. Wouldn’t you rather do something whole-heartedly because you have passion for it and not half way just because you couldn’t say no? Try it once and you will be hooked. This is your life. Stop trying please everyone.
Man it would feel good to just say what I was thinking without filtering it for one whole day. Here are just a few of the lies I have told lately.
1. Sure I would love to have your entire family over for dinner tonight.
2. I would love to take your twins for the whole afternoon.
3. No you look exactly the same as you did in high school.
4. I love this weather.
5. I adore my children all the time. Especially in the summer, we get to spend “quality time together”.
6. Come to your kid’s birthday party? Sure sounds awesome.
7. No, your plastic surgery looks totally natural. No one will ever know you had a breast augmentation.
8. I am not looking forward to school starting. I will miss the kids so much.
9. I hate reality TV.
10. I read books all the time.
11. I don’t check Facebook or Twitter that often.
12. I don’t drink that much wine.
What are some of the lies you tell?