I don’t know about you, but I am so super psyched for Halloween this year! My kids have been counting down the days. The costumes are just about ready … the candy to hand out has been bought … the buckets pulled out of the attic and dusted off … But in the midst of all the excitement, it’s good to run through a quick refresher on some good Halloween safety tips.
Before you set out:
* Feed your child(ren) a meal or snack so that they are less likely to eat candy before getting home
* Once costumes are assembled, put away all costume tools such as scissors, makeup or safety pins (out of child’s reach)
* Before you leave the house, discuss what route children will follow, who is supervising the group, what friends are going along and what time they will be home
* Costumes should fit well so that children do not trip on long costumes or get snagged on shrubbery or fences
* Buy costumes made of flame retardant material
* Use light colors or reflective tape on costumes
* Children should carry flashlights so they can better see and be seen
* Face masks should allow for good vision – consider taking off masks when crossing the street
* Have children bring all treats home for inspection
* Sort out treats and check to make sure that all wrappers are intact
* Discard unwrapped or loosely wrapped items
* Dispose of choking hazards such as peanuts, gum and hard candies
* Young children should always be accompanied by an adult – older children should go in groups and carry a mobile phone
* Trick-or-treat in neighborhoods and yards that are known and well lit
* Walk on sidewalks, not streets – do not run out from between parked cars and always look both ways before crossing the street
And hopefully you won’t need it, but just in case – Carolina’s Poison Control Center is 704-355-4000 or 800-222-1222.
Have a super Smarty Halloween! And please let us know of other tips that you have found to be helpful on this ghoulish night.
Smarties, today is the LAST day to register to win a piece of the $500 worth of local swag in the Bob Mayberry Moms October giveaway! Share your answer to this on the CSP facebook page and Bob Mayberry Moms facebook page (cut and paste!) and you’re entered to win TWICE:
How did you cure your child of a bad habit?