I recently read something in my Redbook magazine (Gasp! I’m officially a hundred years old!) and snickered. When something makes me laugh, I must share to see if I can get a gaggle of gals giggling across the land of Charlotte Smarty Pants. I was reminded of three very special comments in reference to working that have come my way in my short tenure as mother.
“I am willing to sacrifice buying nice things for myself so I can stay home.”
Like I work to be able to buy sweater sets at Saks…
“You’re so lucky to be able to wear high heels and get dressed up.”
Because I work to wear high heels and get dressed up.
“We didn’t bother to assign you anything since you work all the time.”
Buying napkins for the class party is a fireable offense in Corporate America.
Liz Gumbinner, author of blog Mom-101.com, asked her peeps to share the snarkiest working mom comments.
10 Things Never To Say To A Working Mom
1. It must be hard missing all those special moments every day.
2. I suppose it’s smart that you’ve been working. You know; in case your husband leaves you some day.
3. I’m surprised you went back to work. Your husband seems so successful.
4. It’s cute when they call your nanny “Mama”.
5. I just love my kids too much to leave them during the day.
6. Did you see Dateline? The one with the hidden camera in the day care?
7. I could never let someone else raise my children. But that’s me.
8. I hated my mom because she was never home after school like everyone else’s mom.
9. You must feel so guilty.
10. I wish I were as laid back as you and could just let the housework go.
Candy Kirby, author of blog the laughingstork.com, repped for the other side and asked SAHMommas to raise up the most memorable daggers thrown their way.
10 Things Never To Say To A SAHM
1. When the kids are older, do you think you’ll get a real job?
2. How June Cleaver of you!
3. Oh, so you don’t work?
4. Since you have extra time on your hands, could you whip up a few dozen brownies for the bake sale tomorrow?
5. All day with your kids? I can’t even imagine.
6. I’m jealous. I wish my husband were rich so I wouldn’t have to work either.
7. What do you do all day anyway?
8. I’m sure you’re not the only one who’s ever wasted money on a college degree.
9. That explains why your son is so clingy.
10. Weird. I assumed your house would be superclean.
Smarties, have you been hit the wrong way with a quip that just cut? Serve it up!
Today is the last day to win TOTEM tix!
2 Cirque du Soleil Tickets: Register NOW for a chance to win to tickets to TOTEM Cirque du Soleil on Saturday, March 26th 4pm show. Click here for more details and to register to win. The winner will be selected at random at 5p TODAY, so don’t hesitate!
Good luck, Smarties!