With Halloween upon this week, I thought it would be helpful to list safety tips for our little trick-or-treaters. Here are some general guildelines that I found that can help your children prepare for the event and have lots of fun. And remember Carolinas Poison Center is 704-355-4000 or 800-222-1222.
Before you set out:
* Feed your child(ren) a meal or snack so that they are less likely to eat candy before getting home
* Once costumes are assembled, put away all costume tools such as scissors, makeup or safety pins (out of child’s reach)
* Before you leave the house, discuss what route children will follow, who is supervising the group, what friends are going along and what time they will be home
* Costumes should fit well so that children do not trip on long costumes or get snagged on schrubbery or fences
* Buy costumes make of flame retardent material
* Use lilght colors or reflective tape on costumes
* Children should carry flashlights so that can better see and be seen
* Face masks should allow for good vision – consider taking off masks when crossing the street
* Have children bring all treats home for inspection
* Sort out treats and check to make sure that all wrappers are intact
* Discard unwrapped or loosely wrapped items
* Dispose of choking hazards such as peanuts, gum and hard candies
* Young children should slways be accompanied by an adult – older children should go in groups and carry a mobile phone
* Trick-or-treat in neighborhoods and yards that are known and well lit
* Walk on sidewalks, not streets – do not run out from between parked cars and always look both ways before crossing the street
Have a super smarty Halloween. And please let us know of other tips that you have found to be helpful on this goulish night.
HALLOWEEN CANDY RECALLEDThis appears to be real (I check both the Snopes http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/coins and the Canadian site) There is a new warning put out by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency….Sherwood brand Pirate’s Gold Milk Chocolate coins are being recalled due to the fact that they contain Melamine, the ingredient in milk product that has caused many infant (and dog) deaths in china. These candies are sold at Costco, as well as many bulk and dollar stores. please make sure to check your childrens halloween candy and DO NOT LET THEM EAT THE PIRATE COINS (you know the ones wrapped in the shiny gold foil) and please let other parents know about this!