It might officially be fall, but it certainly has not felt that way these past few weeks here in Charlotte! If you are a fan of holding onto summer well into the school year, you are going to want to make these easy ice cream sandwiches. This super simple dessert will truly help you feel those summer vibes as long as possible.
These easy ice cream sandwiches are perfect to keep in your freezer for a special treat or make them for a fun family party. Since two of my kids are gluten-free, I like to offer to bring dessert when we have get togethers with family or friends. Desserts can be tricky with food allergies – so many cookies, brownie, cake options out there – and they all have wheat! For me, it’s easy to make something safe for my kids since I have been doing it for so long and no one ever notices it’s any different.
These easy ice cream sandwiches are a perfect example – I easily substituted one of our favorite store-bought gluten-free chocolate chip cookies for regular chocolate chip cookies and no one could tell they were gluten-free. Tate’s makes excellent gluten-free chocolate chip cookies that work really well in this recipe and I can pick them up at most grocery stores – including my local Harris Teeter and Target.
To be honest, this recipe is not even really a recipe. All you need are three ingredients – all easily found at your favorite grocery store. Chocolate chip cookies, vanilla ice cream, and rainbow sprinkles. That’s it. If you have kids with wheat or gluten allergies, substitute GF cookies for regular cookies. If you have kids who can’t tolerate dairy, substitute your favorite dairy-free ice cream. This dessert is very forgiving. With very little effort and minimal mess, you can have an Instagram worthy dessert in minutes to wow your favorite kids – or their moms.
Easy Ice Cream Sandwiches (serves 6)
12 chocolate chip cookies
1 quart vanilla ice cream
8 oz rainbow sprinkles
1. Slightly thaw ice cream
2.Place a generous scoop of ice cream on one cookie, place a second cookie on top so it evenly fills the cookie. Using a butter knife, scrape around the edge to smooth out the ice cream and remove any excess.
3. Immediately place in your freezer while you make the other ice cream sandwiches.
4. Make remaining ice cream sandwiches.
5. Pour rainbow sprinkles onto a small plate or saucer.
6. After all six sandwiches have been completed, remove sandwiches one at a time from the freezer and roll in rainbow sprinkles until the ice cream is completely covered in sprinkles.
7. Return ice cream sandwich to freezer, and repeat with the remaining sandwiches.
8. Once all the sandwiches have been made, lay them flat in the freezer and let them harden for at least 15 to 20 minutes before placing them upright in a container.
ENJOY! For more easy recipes, check out my blog at www.campbrighton.com