Halloween is huge around our house. I start getting mentally prepared for “All Hallows Eve” around August. By the end of September, I start draping everything that stands still in spider webs. I send out Halloween Cards. Honestly, the concept of knocking on a complete stranger’s door, all dressed up and ready to collect candy is just too much fun for me to pass up. Smarties, Halloween is the second most decorated Holiday (behind Christmas), and one of my favorite events of the year!
How do you celebrate this devilish day in your Smarty home? Our family tradition is baking these “uber” simple cupcakes with my daughter and surprising our neighborhood with treats on their doorsteps a few days before Halloween. They are precious AND easier than those blasted Dora cupcakes, I promise!
So break out the sprinkles and get ready to bake up these seriously spooky confections.
Happy Haunting Charlotte!
You Will Need:
One Box of Cupcake/Cake Mix (your choice).
Orange & Black Sprinkles
Licorice Rolls or Sticks
1. Follow the baking instructions for the cupcakes. Use cupcake liners (easier to transport to neighbors).
2. Let cupcakes cool for at least 30 minutes. No cheating (or eating)!
3. While cupcakes are cooling, cut the mini marshmallows in half using a kitchen scissor.
4. Using the same kitchen scissor, cut the licorice into inch long “legs”. Make smaller strips for the mouth.
5. Set all the ingredients out so your child can easily reach all materials and get ready to be a “haunting” hero for the day!
6. Ice cupcakes with chocolate frosting. Let your child help you! Licking the spoon is optional (but highly recommended).
7. Holding the bottom of the cupcake, “dip” the top into a bowl of the sprinkles.
8. Use the cut up marshmallows for the eyes.
9. Use the longer licorice strips for the legs. You will need to insert the legs into the cupcake, if not they will fall out as the icing isn’t strong enough to hold all of them in place.
10. Use the smaller licorice strip for the spiders smirk!
11. Haunt your neighborhood and drop off goodies to your friends!
Don’t forget to take advantage of a few Smarty deals this week not to be missed!
1) Register to win a month of FREE piano lessons plus waived registration fee from our friends at Francis Music Studio – perfect to go under the tree this year! Click here for more details.
2) Little Otter Swim School is offering a Smarty discount through October 31st, so don’t hesitate! Sign up for an opening in classes Monday through Wednesday mornings that meet between 9:30 and 2:30 and receive 20% off tuition for classes through the end of the year. You must enroll before October 31st and offer is valid for anyone not currently enrolled, including families that took a break and want to return. Click here for more details.
Enjoy the great deals!