What are you doing with the last scraps of summer? If you’re out of ideas, we’ve got a few! Here are 20 ways to capture your “Indian Summer” and create fabulous family memories before the school bell rings.
1. Throw a slip-n-slide play date! Don’t have one? Hit Target for some insane “end of the season” sales and snag one at a bargain.
2. Get crafty! Try some of these season inspired projects from our friends at Kaboose. The paper plate “port hole” was a huge hit at our house!
3. Invite the neighbors over for one last BBQ and celebrate summer with local goodies found at a Farmers Market. Nothing says summertime like fresh corn on the cob and brightly flavored strawberries.
4. Make a splash. Take advantage of pool season (which will only lasts a few more weeks). Most pools close Labor Day, so jump in!
5. Make these yummy homemade orange popsicles! Family time never tasted so good.
6. Encourage your child to write a summertime journal. If your child hasn’t mastered letters yet, help them pen one. Be sure to leave blank pages for picture drawing! Create a memorable timeline of all your seasonal fun AND a perfect “show and tell” piece for the start of school.
7. Celebrate the season by going on a “lightening bug chase”. Let the little ones stay up late and watch the fireflies come out and spark up the night. S’mores optional!
8. Host a Lemonade Stand. This classic summer activity is sure to drum-up some sweet memories. Even better, donate all proceeds to charity – teach our Smarties young to give back to the community!
9. Carowinds. Wake them up one morning and don’t tell them where you are heading. Upon arrival, bask in the glory of being “super mom” for the day!
10. Visit the U.S. National Whitewater Center. There are too many activities to even type. Cool off at this hot attraction right in our backyard.
11. Visit Small Hands, Big Art and get your kiddies creative juices flowing.
12. Host a “teddy bear” picnic! Take your little ones to a park and bring along their favorite stuffed friend (and real friends if you have the energy). Pack a picnic and nibble on goodies with the special guests. Pictures are a must!
13. Decorate the night with sparklers. It may be past The Fourth, but sparklers are always a blast. Listen to your children squeal as they create shapes in the night with these popular summer treats.
14. Find shapes in the clouds. Enjoy the laziness of summer and kick-back while finding creatures in the clouds. Make up a story using your new character friends and enjoy listening to your child’s imagination run wild.
15. Have a water balloon fight. Nuf said.
16. Plant some flowers in preparation for Fall. August is a hot month for planting but you can nurse along your bargain-basement annuals, getting them ready for fall planting. When temperatures cool later in the month or in September, transplant your annuals out of their containers and into the ground for an eye-catching display of fall flowers.
17. Splash around at Latta Park! Latta Park (located in Dilworth) is awesome when the heat is on. Not only is this park covered in beautiful shade, it also hosts a unique “splash zone”. Pack your suits for some slippery fun!
18. Still at the beach or near the sand? Create “Sand Dough” by following the below steps.
1 cup cornstarch
1/2 Tbsp cream of tartar
2 cups sand
1 1/2 cups of water
Stir together is an old pan (avoid no-stick surfaces) over medium heat until thick (5-10 minutes). Cool and store in a sealed container until ready to use!
19.Take a last minute “day trip” by hitting up one of our Smarty tested sites! Find all the options at www.charlottesmartypants.com and search our “Smarty Day Trip Series” by typing in “day trip series” in upper left hand corner of the site in the search box.
20. Just relax. Enjoy the final days of less stressful mornings and fewer packed lunch boxes. Soak up the ease that comes along with summer. Play with your children and remember summer for them is a whimsical time they will recall with fondness for the rest of their lives.
Happy “Indian Summer” Smarties!
Don’t forget to register for our Smarty Back-to-School Giveaway!
Our friends at Carolina Pad bring you the latest in their beautifully designed signature brand, Studio C – now available at select Bed Bath & Beyond stores as well as online at www.carolinapadstore.com. From hip and trendy to classic and timeless, the Studio C collections are designed to showcase your personal style.
Four collections are free as part of this CSP Giveaway. Yep, that’s right, four of you lucky Smarties will win a Carolina Pad prize pack, valued at $40 each!! Pick from Carnaby Street, Peace, Kaleidoscope and True Love. Peace out, Smarties! Click Here to Enter. This Smarty giveaway ends on Sunday, August 22nd at 5:00 pm. Good luck and thanks for supporting our Smarty friends at Carolina Pad!